This unique tour will take you back in the ages, when the first hermits and monks used to climb and live up on the rocks, inside the caves, until they decided to build monasteries, which later became a must-visit destination for people from all over the world.
Meteora Monasteries comprise the second most important complex of Monasteries after Athos, but stand out, because they are built, as if suspending from the huge rock formations in the heart of Thessaly these unique and enormous columns of rock rise precipitously from the ground. Their unusual form is not easy to explain geologically. They are not volcanic plugs of hard igneous rock typical elsewhere, but the rocks are composed of a mixture of sandstone and conglomerate.
Departing from your hotel and driving for about 4 hours (with a short stop), we will visit the breathtaking Byzantine Monasteries of Meteora, with their long history and the cultural heritage.
After the visit to the Monasteries and lunch on the way, you will pass by Thermopylae, the battlefield of King Leonidas and his 300 brave men, and a series of important and developed towns in the Thessalian plain.
The tour will slowly bring you back towards Athens.
Highlights of our Full-Day tour to Meteora
- Short stops for panoramic breathtaking views & amazing photos
- Visit the most important UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Explore the astonishing “Hanging Monasteries” (2 to 3 Byzantine monasteries) and learn about the first monks’ lives.
- Visit the town of Kalambaka and the village of Kastraki.
- Visit the battlefield of Thermopylae en route. In the historical center, you will enjoy a 3D movie. Traveling through time, you will be able to feel the presence of all the great men, who died in glory for their freedom, under a foreign conqueror.
- Enjoy a late lunch – early dinner at a traditional taverna. (Lunch not included)
- Not all monasteries are open to visit every day. You will be informed of the open monasteries in advance.
- For the entrance to the monasteries, according to monasteries policy, appropriate clothing is required. Ladies should wear long trousers or skirts. Men are allowed to wear long trousers as well
- Guided tour of the Monasteries upon request
- Services of a Professional – licensed local guide
- Professional English-speaking driver
- Transport by a luxury A/C mini van
- Pick-up and drop-off service from/to all Athens hotels, Athens International Airport and Piraeus Port
- Free Wi-Fi on the mini van
- All taxes and tolls
- Bottled water throughout the tour.
- Personal service.
- Entrance fees to Monasteries.
- For the confirmation of your reservation you can prepay an amount of the total value or ,
you can pay the full amount.
COVID 19 CANCELATION POLICY
- Due to Covid-19, cancel up to 24 hours prior to the date of the tour for a full refund.